Interested in learning painting or drawing from me?
I teach at art seminars, run my own painting workshops and I offer private art lessons you can take part in.
Feel free to contact me for more information if you have questions.
"Kevin Campeau is an illuminating teacher with a compassionate approach. He offered me options of what I could do with my painting at critical moments and he also
fully supported how to best reach my own ideas. Kevin provides neutral feedback that improved my work and inspired me to get back into the studio after learning
with him. Kevin holds a deep knowledge of materials, art history, and he is unhindered when demonstrating and sharing his technique. I would recommend anyone
who is interested in improving their technical painting skills and willing to journey deeper into their visionary practices to learn with Kevin."
- Cory Seyler
Stargazer - Traversing the Arcane
with Inner Journeying & Painting
* SPOTS ARE AVAILABLE *
This will be the sixth workshop in the Alchemist's Guide Workshop Series and will be focused on painting an image of your choice in acrylics.
Your image can be figurative or non-figurative – anything from your Inner Cosmos that you wish to depict in an imaginative way.
You will first learn the Trifold Approach to Inner Journeying, my time tested method of fluidly activating the inner senses, to help you connect with aspects of your own Inner Cosmos, including Spirit Allies. The essential meanings of the individual parts of your journey will be further uncovered and distilled.*Please see below.
From here you will learn how to create a textural imprimatura or base layer, the 'Prima Materia' of your painting, inviting unexpected elements to appear. You will learn how to transfer your composition and begin a monochromatic underpainting, developing values and creating volume and depth with shadows and highlights from a mid tone. You will further learn about colour glazing and adding layers of refinement. During this process I will teach my 'glasslike' Vitreous Technique, a way of creating fluid glasslike and gemlike effects which can be incorporated into your piece if you choose.
On the third day of the workshop I will guide you through a second Inner Journey where the goal will be to discover and explore your own Alchemical Memory Palace.
I ask that before the workshop you develop an idea or two for a composition for yourself. At the very least, prepare a set of photo references and/or drawn references for yourself. Background elements can come spontaneously through the paint. You can also print your references at the correct size for the gessobord that I am providing you. If you choose to draw something to use as reference please also bring the photo reference along for later comparisons and adjustments. There will be no drawing time set aside during the workshop. Bring other photos that might inspire forms and colour choices/combinations for you. You are also welcome to bring your laptop/tablet to view your references on. Feel free to send me a message if you need some advice with your references.
One Ampersand gessobord per student – size is 24x30cm, acrylic painting medium, tracing paper, transfer paper, masking tape, paper towels, light table if needed, cups, spray bottles and access to my collection of Old Holland and Golden Acrylic paints for a small fee if you do not have your own. Refer to the separate Materials List on my website to know what you need to bring with you.
*Due to time, the main purpose of doing the Inner Journey will be to teach you the approach and for inspiration during the painting process. You must choose your subject(s) beforehand due to time constraints. Your Inner Journey may also inspire colour scheme, background elements and the overall tone of your piece.
October 12th /13th and 19th /20th 2019
10 am - 6 pm (1pm - 2 pm Lunch break) each day
My private Atelier: Hohlweggasse 1/ Top 3, 1030 Vienna
*I am close to the 71 and O trams, as well as the train at Rennweg. A few minutes walk from the Belvedere Palace and Botanical Garden*
EUR 300, USD 320 per student for 4 days
You can choose between PayPal (credit card option available) or Bank Transfer (details given upon request).
** This workshop is limited to 6 people. A deposit of EUR 100, USD 110 must be made in order to reserve a spot. This deposit is non-refundable. The rest of the fee must be paid at least a week before October 12th 2019 **
✯Workshop Outline✯ ✯Workshop Materials List✯
"To say I was blown away by Kevin’s teachings is an understatement. From theory on the canvas, to theories of the soul, there isn’t a better person to learn such a
holistic approach of painting from than him. His high caliber of technique and skill condenses his knowledge in a very approachable format that aims to level up
artists of any level - from very beginners to experts. He focuses on each person to help them where they are at on their journey and adapts to each artist's
needs, all while holding true to his own unique vision and unbelievably detailed works. These are my words to anyone thinking of taking the course but not fully
sure - just DO IT. As amazing of a teacher that he is, he is also just an amazing all around human, who seeks to inspire and uplift those around him."
- Elias Hartford
Fall Trimester 2019
* SIGN UP NOW *
"The Vehicle of the Will represents the inner and outer senses joined as one. As we take time to explore creatively in our lives we can begin to realize how many
different sensual layers are involved in how that exploration takes place. Our inner senses are often treated as secondary to our outer ones and depending on how
much we actually focus on working with them, may well go undeveloped. As gateways which lead directly to our ability to imagine anything, the potential they have
to inform and expand our experiences is vast."
Teaching ways to locate, hone and balance your inner senses with your creative practice is what Kevin Campeau will be focusing on teaching in his 5 weeks with us at the academy.
He will guide you through the creation of one large work and one small work. Centering on the theme of 'The Vehicle of the Will', he will teach you about a series of practices, from Inner Journeying to Automatic Drawing to develop ideas, to drawing your compositions on toned paper and painting them on canvas in both acrylic and oil.
- Kevin will begin by teaching you The Trifold Approach to Inner Journeying to help guide you to discovering/exploring your own inner cosmos. The primary goal will be to first connect you with your own inner senses in the form of Spirit Allies. On the way you will also be inspired with creative ideas for your compositions.
- Throughout the 5 weeks several more Inner Journey sessions will take place to help you go deeper with the process. Each session includes the student using creative writing to record their journeys as well as a sharing circle.
- He will also be discussing topics in relation to his personal experience with Inner Journeying spanning over 15 years. These include alternate meditative practices to help expand your connection with the inner senses, the development of a personal symbolic language, idea consolidation and the building of one's own Alchemical Memory Palace, dialoguing with Spirit Allies and ways of mapping inner territory.
- After your initial Inner Journey, he will begin to share with you an array of art techniques. You will learn different ways of doing Automatic Drawing as a warm up exercise as well as to create unexpected movements, forms and contours to incorporate into your compositions.
- Based on select imagery from your Inner Journey and the theme of 'The Vehicle of the Will', the joined inner and outer senses, you will then create drawings on toned paper with graphite and chalk to flesh out your compositions and work out values.
- You will learn how to begin the first stages of your paintings in acrylic, creating dynamic imprimaturas (base layer) in mid-tones. You will learn how to make your own neutral tints to start building your forms and shadows and how to balance these with volumes and highlights in whites. You will then move into colour glazing with acrylics. During this time Kevin will also teach you his Vitreous Technique, a way of creating both dark and light glass-like effects.
- About halfway through the course you will switch to painting in oils. Kevin will teach you how to enhance areas with oil color glazes and add finishing refinements and details to come to completing your works.
It may seem less important to spend time 'hearing' inner sound as a visual artist, yet from personal experience it is one inner sense which seems to catalyze the rapid expansion and connection of others. Take the spoken word for example. We say things that often map our movements – physically, emotionally, psychologically and otherwise. We use our words then to guide ourselves. Words evoke imagery, often memories. One word may have countless images connected to it in your imagination. These are countless possible portals which can be entered and explored with Inner Journeying.
We have the ability to condense and focus our inner senses to allow what we consider to be 'our' thoughts to speak up for themselves, to show us what they represent and symbolize on a deeper, more essential level. Not only does this lead to transformation and growth for us personally, but when we include these meaningful thoughts somehow in our work, by drawing or painting them directly or indirectly implying them, something highly intentional takes form which we can share. This intention is felt by others, it can be witnessed in the vibration of the work of art, and it acts to inspire transformation within them."
✯Click here✯ for more info!
I have opened my atelier in the 3rd District of Vienna to individuals for private art lessons. I will tailor the content of the lesson(s) to their specific needs. I cover areas like:
- Acrylic painting techniques including my Vitreous Technique, a way of creating fluid 'glasslike' effects.
- Oil painting techniques including the traditional Mischtechnik, handed down from Prof. Ernst Fuchs.
- Traditional drawing techniques
Students can hire me at an hourly or half day rate.
You can book a private art lesson right now by clicking the Add to Cart Button. You will be directed to pay via Paypal or Credit Card. Once you've paid, please contact me to set up your appointment.
Alternately I accept bank transfer or cash payment. Please contact me.